SOME HISTORY OF APIARY
[comments from the editor are contained in square brackets]
[viewers are invited to add to our knowledge of this area. Email your additions to us and we will incorporate it into our history with your byline.]
Joseph Hackenberg Sr. entered a homestead about two miles north of the future site of Apiary on August 23, 1886. He described the roads leaving Rainier and gave the names of the settlers then residing in the area: [Joseph Hackenberg’s article appeared in the Rainier Review in 1937, so some of the places referenced were from that time.]
“..There were four roads connecting Rainier with the surrounding country: one went to Goble, then called Enterprise; one between Fox and Nice Creeks; one to Beaver Valley and one west to the Dibblee ranch in the bottom.
All were very poor excuses of roads, only wide enough for one wagon, the Goble road was almost impassable during the rainy season. The Beaver Valley road [now relocated to the Nice creek canyon] was corduroyed the most of the way owing to its heavy traffic, in several places in deep cuts, and very steep, it was in fact a road laid over the ridge regardless of grade. The corduroy was in many places worn through in the ruts and in flats [now called flood plains] usually afloat during the winter. Corduroy was simply split timber 8-9 feet long, laid across the road.
The Beaver Valley road branched above the Kittering place (the present Townsend place), one branch gave access to the different valleys on the Upper Beaver, the other to the Lower Beaver, Lost Creek, and Clatskanie, then often called Bryantville.”
The Fern Hill road from the Townsend place to the Tracy place and again at the Kenyon Bourne place was relocated, and on the main road up the North Beaver creek were the following settlers; Walt Furrow, S. M. Rice, John Stehman, Kenyon Bourne, Charlie, Lou, Lon, and Dolph Brandt on the Skeans place, and Lou Butts on the Lansing place, where the road ended. [The Lansing place was between the present (1996) Ed Rea place and the James Hoard place.]
The first branch [the Hirtzel Road in 1996] left this road at the Middaugh place [going] west over the hill, called the Cape Horn to Starvation Valley; on it were Polly Gilbreath, Henry Philipps, J. B. Doan, W. H. Hankins, J. K. Stuart, Jim Stuart, and Henry Doan.
The second branch west left the Fern Hill road at the Skeans place (the present road [Skeans Road in 1996] has been relocated a few rods to the north) and joined the Cape Horn road west of the Sonneland place; Jared Wilson was the only settler on that branch.
The third branch [the Hammond Road in 1996] just had been cut through to the Charlie Doan place on the head of the South Beaver creek. There was no Apiary then.
The first branch east, the present Beaver Springs road considerably relocated, went up the east Beaver creek and ended a short distance from the Barrick place [near the intersection of Walker Road and Beaver Springs road in 1996]; its settlers were: Bob Baily, Clemens Mescher and Mike Rosier.
The second branch east [the Lentz Road in 1996] went up the Charlie Wilson creek to the Ring mill; aside of the mill crew there were no settlers.”
OTHER EARLY FAMILIES
Virgie Prichard, daughter of Charles C. and Louisa J. Prichard, was born at Olive Hill near Grayson, Kentucky, on May 7, 1886. The family moved to Oregon in May, 1889.
Virgie recalls life in Apiary in Vol. 5, page 36, of “Columbia County History”:
“..Father bought the homestead rights to 160 acres of land from a man named Isaac Schultz. There was a small clearing and a three room shack so we moved in right away. J. C. Kilby and William Lowman were our nearest neighbors.
“..The post office was nearly two miles away. Dave Dorsey was the postmaster at that time.
THE STORE AT APIARY
“..There was a store in the building with the postoffice where you could buy needles, pins, thread, ribbon, crochet hooks, etc. They also had a small stock of sugar, flour, crackers, dried fruit, beans and a small supply of canned meat and vegetables.”