The name was taken from Rinearson slough which in turn got its name from Jacob S. Rinearson, a pioneer of 1843, a prominent figure in the early Indian wars, earning the title of “Major” Rinearson, who settled at the far end of what is now known as West Rainier.
The slough gave easy access to the community known as Hudson, located up over the ridge in what was called “Beaver Valley.”
Later Lucky Jack Peterson built a log chute at this location; Yeon and Pelton built an incline at the same spot. Yeon sold to Portland Lumber Company. Through the years a small community of house boats developed around the site called Rinearson.
TRAINS TO STOP AT RINEARSON
March 23, 1916: Through the efforts of the Rainier Merchants Association, all four of the Portland — Seaside trains will stop at Rinearson on flag.
The new ruling went into effect March 19, 1916 and hereafter people at Rinearson can be assured of train service.
The idea was first brought before the local Merchants Association by people living at, and near the Portland Lumber Company’s logging camps at Rinearson, who complained about the train service and asked if Rainier could not lend their aid towards getting a better train service.